Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lake Malawi

Looking out onto Lake Malawi
So before Josh and I head to Mozambique for the holidays we are taking a couple of days at Nanchengwa Lodge here on Lake Malawi (which is really more like an ocean!). Getting here was no small feat (traveling 120km took us 4 hours) and after our mini bus dropped us off at the nearby major town we then got into the back of a pick up truck that eventually took us to the lodge. So here we are, literally sitting on the edge of a pick up truck as the driver picks up and crams as many people as possible into the back along the way. I've never experienced anything like it.. at one point in time i think there were about 22 people (including us) in the bed of this small truck. I was lucky to get a seat on the edge, but I had one lady leaning on my leg as i'm trying to steady Josh as he is standing up crammed with about 3 people literally hugging him on either side. Needless to say, it was quite comical, and another one of those moments when I was very much aware that we were in Africa.

Oh and I had my first attempted hair touching moment today with a young girl sitting next to me on the mini-bus. So here we were sitting in the minibus like sardines again, but luckily I had 2 kids next to me so there was a little more room. The girl (probably around 7 or 8) directly next to me was so sweet and absolutely fascinated by josh and I. We just kept smiling at each other and as the mini bus rolled on one arm eventually looped through mine (I think she was interested in my arm hair) while her other was trying to touch my hair. In other instances this probably would have annoyed me but she was absolutely so sweet and innocent, and just so intrigued.  So there we sat arm in arm for about the last 15 min before we reached our desintation. And as we got out of the bus (she and her family got out first) she ran up to me with both hands out, and we clasped hands and I said goodbye. It was a very sweet and touching moment. I wonder if she just hadn't seen the likes of me before, or maybe been that close but i'll tell you one thing,  it's hard not to absolutely adore the kids here! Ok, here are some photos of the lodge we are staying at (pretty spoiled as our front door opens right on to the water!):


We are staying in the beach house on the far left
 
    Our beach hut has 2 floors!
You step right onto the beach

The bar
A little sweaty and tired.. but happy to finally be here!

1 comment:

  1. I love gentle moments like the one you had with the girl. How lovely!

    ReplyDelete